Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sibling Saturday: Now She Has a Name

A few weeks ago I posted a story about my father's older sister, entitled "Big Sister Without A Name."  It can be found here:  http://ancestrybinders.blogspot.com/2013/06/sibling-saturday-big-sister-without-name.html

Postscript:

A few weeks after I posted this story, a generous findagrave.com volunteer named Kay Cynova traveled to Fridhem Lutheran Cemetery in Hordville, where I suspected the Wallins might be buried.  (I had tried to contact the church with no success.)  She found the graves of my great-grandparents, who were two of the charter members of that church—and nearby, in a second Wallin family plot, a small stone for Irene R. Wallin, 1921-1921.  I feel quite certain this is the one, as my father remembered the name “Irene” being spoken in hushed tones by his aunts.  At least now we have a name, and a proper memorial.


3 comments:

  1. Nice story. Aren't FindAGrave volunteers wonderful? I do my best to pay it forward by taking photos of stones near where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! A very kind Find A Grave volunteer responded to my photo request and photographed the tombstone of my great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete